fbpx

What Makes Chocolate Toxic To Dogs?

Dogs often beg for the foods we eat and in many cases those foods are not harmful to your pet. However, chocolate is a substance that is poisonous if consumed by dogs. Below is an overview of why chocolate is toxic to dogs and what the symptoms of toxicity are. If you are worried that your dog has eaten something that could threaten his health, contact a a Tulsa vet for advice.

Why Is Chocolate Dangerous?

Chocolate containes an ingredient known as theobromine, which is toxic to canines. Unlike humans, dogs break down this substance very slowly after consumption. This means dogs can have deadly levels of theobromine in their system very quickly.

What Are The Symptoms Of Poisoning?

Big dogs can handle larger amounts of chocolate easier than small dogs. If your dog eats a small amount, he may only experience vomiting and diarrhea for a short time. However, if he eats a larger amount, he may experience symptoms such as:

  • Seizures
  • Tremors
  • Hyperactivity
  • Internal Bleeding
  • Heart Attack

If your dog develops these symptoms, it is important to take him to a Paw Prints Tulsa Veterinary Hospital for an evaluation. A Tulsa vet will determine the best treatment plan for your dog.

It is difficult to know how to keep your pet healthy, but monitoring his food intake is one way to be sure he is not eating chocolate or other toxic substances. If you are not sure how much he consumed, it is best to be cautious and take him to a Paw Prints Tulsa Veterinary Hospital before he becomes sicker.

Click to Call